Here are a few photos of the first steps in building a wooden 16 foot sharpie sailing boat. First the wood for the chines, inwales, and keel are jointed and planed to thickness. Here I’m checking them for square and straightness.
Then I have to mark out the frames on the sheets of half inch plywood. I nested the frames as best I could on the sheets to reduce wastage. This was fairly easy to do as as the sharpie hull shape is very economical with materials. One of the reasons that it has remained a very popular traditional hull form. Perhaps more boats should be flat bottomed wooden boats. Of course more boats should be wooden boats. Then the frames had to be cut out with a hand circular saw and a guide rail. I did use a jigsaw in some locations but the circular saw is much quicker and leaves a straighter cut.
Well that’s all you are getting to see so far. We actually seem to be having some Summer weather here in Ireland for the first time in years and it is getting very very hard to stay in the workshop and not just go sailing.
Finally finished lofting Ninigret. I had to spend some time finishing up outstanding jobs that I had on as well. With the lofting complete, I now have all the frame and stem bevels, and transom projected so it will be full steam ahead making from now on hopefully. Here’s something of interest, I came across this at Woodenboat; it was their boat of the week. It really appealed to my conceptual sensibilities, I have always been a fan of people like composer John Cage and the Fluxus group. Anyway here’s a picture of an unmanned boat that can “sail” directly into the wind. Quite a technological feat really. I think it looks fantastic maybe we should all be building boats like this.
Well I’ve spent the last few days lofting the lines and construction plan for Ninigret; the 22′ fuel efficient day boat I’m building. It’s been a long time since I did a lot of hand drafting; makes you appreciate the convenience of computer modelling. I would do it on the computer but the old girl isn’t up to running up to date software. Anyway the lofting is going pretty well. I decided to loft to a one quarter scale as it was big enough for details and I could store the finished drawing easily for future reference. I’ll have to loft the stem and body plan full size but that won’t be too difficult either. Here are some photos of work in progress.
As you can see I’ve used different colours to make the drawing easier to read. Once the frames and stem are lofted I’ll start lifting the bevels and making up the frames. I’ve decided to use Resorcinol glue for the Oak frames as epoxy doesn’t like tanin that much and the dark glue lines won’t be noticed.